Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Wait a Minute... I Think I Know that Tune

A short article by Richard Conniff, writing for MSN Money called "Are You an Irrational Investor?" suggested a couple of 'irrational' thought patterns that, yes, I think are somewhat familiar to me. Of course, realizing my behaviour has been played like a broken record for everyone to hear is not pleasant nor do I want to be referred to as 'nutsy-bobo'. But accepting I do indeed exhibit some of these symptoms, however, may help me start singing a new song.

Anything here sound somewhat familiar to you?

1.) "I don't want to think about it right now."

2.) "I know something you don't."

3.) "If I don't play, I can't lose."

4.) "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

Conniff tries to tie electrical conflict in the brain with these erroneous thought patterns. This kind of suggests there's nothing you can do about it because it's physiolocial. I think it's just willfull ignorance enabled by a weak character... and the good news is that can be changed the second I decide to. Here's to new thinking, changed behaviour and beautiful music!

No comments: